Nigeria, or the Federal Republic of Nigeria, is made up of 36 different states, along with Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory. Situated on the Western coast of Africa, Nigeria borders Chad, Cameroon, Niger and the Republic of Benin. The country’s biggest city is Lagos with a population of around 8 million, followed by Kano and Ibadan.
If you are planning on shipping to Nigeria, there are a number of different shipping ports in the country. Nigerian coastal waterways include the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Guinea. Some of the shipping ports in Nigeria include the Port of Apapa, the Port Harcourt, Port of Onne, Port of Pennington and the Port of Calabar.
If you need international shipping to Nigeria, there are some important documents you should have in order. You will need the following before international shipping to Nigeria:
- Passport (original)
- Work Permit (if applicable)
- Residence Permit
- Certificate of Residence Change
- Customs and Excise Unaccompanied Baggage Declaration
- Form Sale 48
- Shipping Inventory (in English)
- PUBD Form must be completed after customer arrives in Nigeria
- Letter authorizing Destination Agent to clear shipment
When shipping to Nigeria, your cargo will be inspected during the customs clearance process. You should plan to be present for customs clearance if you are shipping to Nigeria. In addition, you will need to obtain a personal bank account while in Nigeria in order to apply for required Form “M”.
Duty Free Shipping and Shipping to Nigeria
When shipping to Nigeria, it is helpful to note that used personal items and household goods generally qualify for duty-free shipping to Nigeria.
In order to qualify for duty free shipping to Nigeria, your items should be used and you must have owned them for at least 6 months prior to shipment. In addition, the items must be for your personal use and not for resale.
If you are Nigerian citizen returning to the country and you would like to qualify for duty-free shipping to Nigeria, you must have been abroad outside of the country for at least nine months.
It is also important that your shipment to Nigeria arrive within two months of your own arrival in the country.
Dutiable and Restricted Items when Shipping to Nigeria
Please note that you are required to pay various fees in order to ship certain items to Nigeria. You can ship alcohol and tobacco products to Nigeria without an import permit if they are included as part of your household goods shipment. These items must be in a reasonable quantity for personal use. In addition, you will be expected to pay import duties on any alcohol and tobacco products.
You are also allowed to ship appliances to Nigeria but you are limited in quantity. You can ship one of each type of appliance to Nigeria.
Other items that are restricted or require specific import duties when shipping to Nigeria include the following:
- Any films, videotapes, video discs, compact discs, publications, audio tapes and gramophone records
Prohibited Items when Shipping to Nigeria
If you are shipping to Nigeria, there is a lengthy list of items that are prohibited from entering the country. You are not allowed to ship the following to Nigeria:
- Air pistols
- Airmail photographic printing paper
- Counterfeit money of any type
- Beads composed of inflammable celluloid or other similar substances
- Blank invoices
- Cars that are eight years or older
- Coupons for foreign football pools or other betting arrangements
- Exhausted tea or tea mixed with other substances. For the purposes of this item, “exhausted tea” means tea which has been deprived of its proper quality, strength or virtue by steeping, infusion or other means.
- Implements appertaining to the reloading of cartridges
- Prints considered indecent or obscene, or other items including paintings, books, cards, engravings or articles of any type deemed indecent
- Matches made with white phosphorous
- Materials of nay description with a design which, considering the purpose for which any such material is intended to be used, is likely in the opinion of the President to create a breach of the peace or to offend the religious views of any class of persons in Nigeria.
- Meat, vegetables or other provisions declared by a Nigerian health officer to be unfit for human consumption
- Piece goods and all other textiles including wearing apparel. Hardware of all kinds crockery and china or earthenware goods bearing inscriptions (whether in Roman or Arabic characters) from the Koran or from the traditions and commentaries on the Koran
- Pistols disguised in any form
- Second-hand clothing
- Silver or metal alloy coins not being legal tender in Nigeria
Car Shipping and RO – RO Shipping to Nigeria
If you are interested in shipping a vehicle to Nigeria, it must be for your own personal use and not for resale or disposal purposes.
You are not allowed to ship vehicles eight years or older to Nigeria. You are also expected to pay duty fees when shipping a vehicle to Nigeria.
Documents required for car shipping to Nigeria include the following:
- Proof of vehicle ownership
- Vehicle Registration Certificate or Original Vehicle Logbook
- Car Insurance papers
- Passport (original)
- Invoice of purchase
- Certificate of Road Worthiness (if you are shipping a used vehicle)
- Make, Model and Serial Number of your vehicle
Bringing a Pet to Nigeria
If you are moving overseas to Nigeria or returning to the country after having been away for a while, and are interested in bringing a pet with you, there are some rules you should know in advance.
You are not allowed to bring birds from the parrot family to Nigeria. You should have a Certificate of Good Health for your pet. You will also need inoculation documentation and an Import Permit to bring your pet to Nigeria.
You should expect a quarantine period when bringing a pet to Nigeria.
A qualified sea shipping company can inform you about important customs rules and regulations if you are shipping to Nigeria or some other destination world wide. Working with an experienced sea shipping agency will make your experience with international shipping to Nigeria much easier.
You Will Get Coupon Codes, Rewards, Daily Updates, Bonuses, And Also Get Notified When We Refill Funds.