Public speaking has been called “one of the most powerful ways to market your business” by almost every small business marketing expert advising clients today. But small business people and solo professionals are often worried about if speaking in public will really give them a good return on their time investment. Not to mention– as a small, home-based business owner, many of us need to focus on the cash flow. So is creating a speech, what I call a “Signature Speech,” and delivering it for free really a good idea?
Absolutely, positively, yes!
In fact, by delivering your speech pro bono, you’ll open many doors that would not have been open to you if you were charging the rates of a professional speaker. Here are the top 5 reasons why speaking pro bono — that’s right– for free– will help you make more money:
1. Public speaking gets you, your name, and your face “out there” in your community. The more people see you, the more they get to know, like and trust you. And people like to do business with those they know, like, and trust.
2. Public speaking will lead to you becoming the “go to” expert in your business for your community. When you speak about a topic, you are automatically seen as the expert, with all the credibility that comes with it. The more you deliver your speech, the more you will become known as the expert people should call with questions about your industry. You become the obvious choice as the person to hire to handle what people need in your area of expertise.
3. Public speaking can get you immediate prospects and leads. Typically when I deliver my Signature Speech in my community, 90%-100% of the audience sign up to receive more information from me. More prospects equals more customers.
4. Public speaking can get you immediate sales. If you have a product or service that you can offer at the “back of the room” when you’ve finished your presentation, a few people will likely buy and become customers on the spot.
5. Public speaking will get you more public speaking gigs. It’s true. Almost every time I present, someone from the audience will invite me to speak at another event, either their business, an association they belong to, or a networking group. And of course knowing all the benefits to using public speaking to market my business, I gladly accept pro bono speaking invitations.
Now that you know how you’ll make more money through pro bono speaking, the next time someone asks you to speak for free, give them an enthusiastic, “Yes!” Accept every opportunity to market your business using public speaking.